} -->

Saturday 11 May 2013

Carrot Cake Pancakes

Makes 10 pancakes
Preparation & Cooking Time: 20 minutes
120kcal per pancake (without toppings)


Carrot Cake is the best cake of all times, and what's more, carrot cake makes me happy. This saturday morning, with a purring cat on my lap, a mug of steaming coffee in my hand and the sunshine streaming through the window, I thought, this is a perfect carrot cake day! Except not only have I had a LOT of home made cakes and desserts recently (as you may have noticed if you've seen my last posts) but 9am is not really an appropriate cake eating time. So instead, I decided to try another 'Dessert for Breakfast' recipe, this time transforming my favorite ever cake into healthy and delicious, moist, cake-like pancakes. 

I'll be honest, I've made pancakes about 10 times in my life (vegan and non-vegan), and it's always resulted in kitchen kate-astrophies as my friends call them - burned, dry and cardboard like- they were The pancakes that Nobody Loved. I felt sorry for them really because if my pancakes had thoughts they would have been thinking 'For gods sake woman, I'm a pancake, we pancakes are easy to make, how the hell did you mess us up THIS bad!' 

Well, I am happy to announce that today was my first real pancake success day :) Sadly there is no one around to witness this success (except for Hatty the cat and pancakes aren't really her thing) but I can share it with you lovely people right here!

Ingredients
 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds or 2 egg replacers
1 cup rice milk (or any non-dairy milk)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup pure liquid sweetener (I used agave)
2 tablespoons oil (canola or coconut)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups flour (I used a mix of white and brown rice flours)
2 teaspoon baking powder
generous pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon of cocoa powder (optional)
11/4 cup peeled grated carrot (grated not shredded)


Topping suggestions
Walnuts
Strawberries
Agave or maple syrupe
Chocolate topping sauce
Nut butters
Lemon juice & brown sugar
etc.. the possibilities are endless! 

Directions
With a fork, mix the flax seeds and milk for a minute then add the apple cider vinegar, water, liquid sweetener, oil and vanilla and mix well. 
In a big bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Make a hole in the center and add the wet mix and combine with a wooden spoon. Add the carrots, combine and let sit for a few minutes. 
Preheat a non-stick pan on medium heat, oil lightly. Add the batter in large serving spoon-sized dollops. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes on one side, until lightly golden brown, flip over and cook a couple of minutes on the other side. 
Tip: to keep them warm while I am cooking the pancakes I preheat the oven on grill for a couple of minutes before, then switch it off and put the cooked pancakes on a plate in the warm oven.  


Serve with your choice of suggested toppings, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment