} -->

Friday 16 May 2014

Chocolate Fudge Pie and 5 1/2 month pregnancy update

Serves: 6-8
Preparation time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes to chill


Delicious, luxurious chocolate fudge pie that is truly - forgive the pun - easy-as-pie to make and with none of the added nasty stuff you'll find in the store bought versions. It's actually as healthy as a chocolate fudge pie can decently allow itself to be, and of course cruelty free!


Directions

The filling
12 oz / 340gr of silken tofu
2 T non-dairy milk of choice
9 oz / 250gr of non-dairy chocolate
3 T of liquid sweetener (I used maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp vanilla extract


The pie crust
7oz / 200gr of digestive biscuits* (check they are vegan)
3 T liquid sweetener (I used maple syrup)
3 T coconut oil

* For more decadence you can replace with oreo cookies 


Preparation

Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F. Process the biscuits until completely ground, then add the coconut oil and liquid sweetener and process until fully combined. Fold out the pie crust mix into a pie dish, pressing down to even out the surface. Cook in the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove and let cool completely.

Melt the chocolate and blend all the filling ingredients together in a blender until smooth. Pour the filling into the pie crust and place in the fridge until chilled. The longer you leave it in the fridge the firmer the filling will be. 

Below is a photo of me, after eating the whole chocolate fudge pie all to myself. Juuust kidding, that's baby bump, now 5 and a half months on :) 


I'm happy to say that my second trimester of pregnancy is a dream, no nasty symptoms, loads of energy and the excitement of now being able to feel baby move more and more each week. Now that I have a proper bump - finally - and can feel baby kick, it seems much more real to me that I am going to be a mum soon, and that's really exciting! 

I've got a new book to add to my recommended pregnancy/parenting reading list - Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Mama, a controversial and in my view an empowering and fact-full book based on attachment parenting, trusting one's self as a parent, getting and staying healthy throughout pregnancy and beyond and being kind to the planet. 

More pregnancy updates and recipes to come soon. In the meantime, enjoy that pie!


No comments:

Post a Comment