} -->

Friday 21 March 2014

My Pregnancy Breakfast Saviors


Growing a baby is a big deal, and it's given me a monster appetite! I don't want this to mean that I just go crazy and throw healthy eating out the window. So what do I eat now that I’m pregnant? 

I’ll be honest with you, for the first 2 months despite all my determination and promises to self about how I was going to be a superhealthy superpregnantwoman and exercise every day, I mostly sat in my PJs in front of House of Cards feeling sorry for my nauseous self, sending my impressively-patient other half out to the corner shop for endless supplies of oreo cookies to munch on between 2 bowls of muesli. And exercise? Forget it, I wasn’t even feeling up for cooking, no way was I going to be in the mood for lunges and sun salutations.

Thankfully, since the start of the second trimester I have been feeling much more energetic and back on track, cooking, eating well and exercising.

This post is about my favorite and most important meal of the day - breakfast.


My ritual when I wake up is to make myself a warm lemon drink. Squeeze ½ a lemon in warm water, this helps to get the digestive system started, clears out toxins and boosts the immune system.



Breakfast fav n°1 - Chocolate banana ice cream

Yes, ice cream for breakfast.



This is inspired by a recipe on Ashley’s Green Life blog and I love it, this is healthy food disguised in decadence, my kind of food! I add oats, nuts and seeds to Ashley’s version to make it more filling and tick the whole grain box.

Ingredients
1 frozen banana
4 frozen strawberries (you could also use other frozen berries)
½ cup almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
1 tsp ground flaxseed
½ T flaked almonds
½ T sunflower seeds
½  T of raw or unsweetened cocoa powder

Preparation
Blend all ingredients until smooth and drink up!



Breakfast fav n°2 - 2 Minute Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

What else. Through thick and thin I stay loyal to my love of porridge.


Ingredients
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 date
sprinkle of cinnamon
diced apple (stewed or fresh)
1 tsp maple syrup
½ T flaked almonds or other nuts
½ T sunflower seeds or other seeds
1 tsp ground flaxseed (for Omega 3s)
boiling water

Preparation
Easy. Put all the ingredients, except the boiling water, together in a bowl (if you are using stewed rather than fresh apples add these in at the end). Pour in enough boiling water to just cover the oats. Cover with a plate to let it cook and absorb most of the water, stirring a couple of times. Remove the plate and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment