} -->

Sunday 22 June 2014

The 3rd Trimester Begins, and Brown Rice Pudding Recipe!


Serves 4
Preparation time: active time 10 min + 40 min cooking


Hello people, it's been a while since my last recipe post, and surprise surprise, once more it is in the breakfast/dessert category, my favorite! 

Before I go on to that though, here's a quick update on all things pregnancy - I have just started my 3rd trimester, pretty exciting! I'm still feeling great, but have definitely slowed down a notch, baby bump is getting bigger by the day it seems, I find myself rolling around like a beached whale making grunting sounds whenever I try to get off a sofa or bed, to my partner's great amusement,  and I have a little less energy now. The third trimester is when baby starts putting on fat and goes through an impressive growth spurt, so it's more important than ever to be eating well, and enough, increasing daily caloric intake by about 300 kcal. A valid excuse to eat more? Sounds good to me! Which brings us to today's recipe..


This brown rice pudding is a perfect comfort dish for breakfast, dessert or snack. Creamy, sweet and healthy, it's a great way to use up left over cooked brown rice. You can play around with this recipe anyway you want to, making it more of a decadent dessert by adding chocolate chips, or a healthy breakfast, with different dried fruits and nuts and even perhaps omitting the cocoa powder. It's up to you, any which way you go, it's bound to be delicious!

Ingredients
3 cups of cooked brown rice
8 oz/225gr of tofu
1 ½ cups of non-dairy milk (I used hazelnut)
½ cup maple syrup or other liquid sweetener*
½ tsp cinnamon + extra for sprinkling
½ tsp nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 T cocoa powder
optional: chopped dates, raisins, nuts, chocolate chips (I used dates & almonds)


* For a low calorie version use a sugar free liquid sweetener, there are even maple-flavored ones out there.

Preparation
Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.

In a food blender combine the cooked rice, the tofu and the rice milk. Add the maple syrup, cocoa powder, nutmeg, vanilla and cinnamon. Lightly oil a baking dish and pour the mix into it. Sprinkle the dried fruits, nuts or chocolate chips, depending what you are using,  on top and press them down lightly with a spoon. Sprinkle with a little more cinnamon and place in the oven. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until browned on top and bubbly. Serve warm, with extra non-dairy milk or even cream if you like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment