} -->

Sunday 16 June 2013

Morgan's Chocolate Fudge Muffins - low fat

Makes 10 fudge muffins
Preparation time 30 minutes
Approx 150 kcal/muffin

Morgan's Chocolate Fudge Muffins. Courtesy of little house of veggies

When I first became vegan back in 2010, I discovered Morgan's blog Little House of Veggies and I was instantly hooked. Her blog opened my eyes to how easy and delicious vegan cooking could be. Her amazing and oh-so-simple healthy chocolate fudge muffins were the first vegan dessert I ever made, and I remember inviting my friends over to celebrate my new found passion for vegan cooking over mouthfuls of this gooey melty chocolatey delight! Three years on and I had completely forgotten about this recipe, I accidentally stumbled upon Megan's blog this morning (sadly she seems to have stopped blogging for a while now) and decided to bring this old favorite recipe back to life in mykitchen. Mission accomplished - the whole flat smells like warm chocolate and I can't wait to sink my teeth into these. 

I have adapted Morgan's recipe slightly, and to make these more decadent I fill the fudge muffins with vanilla soy yogurt and chocolate sauce! 



Ingredients
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (or use apples, peeled and blended)
1 tsp canola oil
5 T liquid sweetener
2 t vanilla extract
3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 cinnamon
1/2 cup of dairy free chocolate chips or cocoa nibs
2 T shredded coconut (optional)
2 T chopped nuts (optional)

Optional filling
Vanilla soy yogurt
Chocolate sauce


Directions
Preheat the oven to 370°F/180°C.

Mix all the wet ingredients in one bowl and all the dry ingredients in another. Combine well, spoon the mixture out into 9 muffin cases, or into a lightly muffin tray. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Don't cook for too long, these are fudge muffins after all!

For the optional filling - using a small sharp knife cut a cone shaped hole out of the top centre of each muffin, fill with a small spoonful of vanilla soy yogurt and squirt a generous amount of chocolate sauce on top, leaving space  so that you can now place the cone shaped muffin top back on top of each muffin. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment